Monday, July 18, 2005

115, But It's a Dry Heat...

No wind when I left the hooch at 5AM. The generators outside the
DFAC hum in a deafening roar, I can smell eggs from two hundred
yards away. At first, they tried to feed us turkey ham, turkey
bacon. No go. So any Muslim working in the kitchen who could not
surrender his religion and fry up some bacon was drummed out.
Mostly Indian cooks now.

Am chafing at the restrictions today. Asking too many questions,
getting flak for wanting data. Pointless.

Got an email from the wife of a co-worker, who is positive I am
sleeping with her husband (I am not). Called me a bitch, vague
threats. One of the perks of being the only woman in the group, I
guess. Another day in paradise.

SO called from home. We are having communication issues. No
surprise there. We haven't communicated in nine years. Far be it
for me to demand some sort of relationship.

I am having a hard time not believing that David is a sadistic
monster. Did I even know him? I thought I did. He has disappeared,
afraid to answer his email. All designed to inflict maximum
damage. Out of sight, out of mind. He can return to his drunken,
abusive wife, and pretend for another thirty years that his
marriage is worth saving. Good luck, Dave. You'll need it.

Tears are in my eyes. I have never felt so broken.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home