Thursday, July 14, 2005

Three Types of Ice Cream

From Thomas X. Hammes Frontline interview:


So your sense was -- and as an intelligent observer of this --
that we're spending a lot of money on building inappropriate
base facilities?
I think so. I frankly was stunned at the level of care at the
Green Zone: the big-screen TVs, the exceptional food -- and
it truly was exceptional food. Like I said, three main courses,
three or four vegetables. Dessert was three kinds of ice cream with multiple-flavored toppings, and there was also several kinds of pastry.

I watched this program online, and wasn't sure what to think. There seemed to be some confusion with the viewers-basically, you can divide the contractors into two groups: those who provide security, and those who provide service. The private security contractors, rightly or wrongly, have gained a reputation of being cowboys. Some are definitely more professional than others, and their actions can be at odds with the military. On the other hand, the service providers do not leave the bases, and relieve the military of performing the mundane tasks such as transportation, food service, and water/power/sewer service. The service providers, not being outside the wire, do not pose a threat to military operations. The only time that the military is directly responsible for the service providers is when we have to be flown on a military flight to get to a work location.

These flights, known as Milair, are met with some resistance from the Military. In a sense, they are pretty resentful that they are responsible for our protection, yet we get paid much more than they do. There seems to be a constant, undeniable undercurrent of hostility between much of the military and those who are hired to serve them. One actually said to me, as I waited for a Milair flight, that he didn't appreciate having to fly "you guys" around, risking his life, for "one of you." On the other hand, I was in line at the PX one night, and the soldier in back of me tapped me on my shoulder, and thanked me sincerely "for all you do for us." It was the first time I
had been thanked for this job. At all. Ever. I went to my hooch and cried. It really touched me. Thanks to whomever you were, soldier. We appreciate it.

I guess what everyone forgets is, like it or not, this is policy, and we are here. Our lives are at risk, just as much as theirs are. We take incoming, day in and day out, and never have the comfort of knowing how serious the threat is, or when it is over; and never have the solace of a weapon by our side. PTSD? Shit. You should see me at night. There is nothing so frightening as hearing the incoming, hearing the sirens, and not knowing what is going on, whether we are under continuous attack, or whether someone we work with has been killed. And unlike the military, there are no programs to help us deal with things. If we get depressed, we are sent home. No questions asked.

But in a sense, Frontline echoed many of the same questions I have had all along: seems like a lot of money spent on things that probably are not necessary. However, the ice cream issue has
emerged as the exhibit de jour of contractor waste. It is not what I would have picked. But let me say something about the ice cream: I have worked on bases that have none. Do not think that all locations have the same level of service. The particular bases that were discussed in the show are two of the largest, and contain the majority of the military and civilian brass. Hence, the better food. And, yes, when you have nowhere to go, and nothing to do, food does become more important, especially for the 18YO soldiers around here. Also, this represents the perpetual discord between the old style "suck it up" military and the new approaches (why NOT make their lives a little better?). Waste? Nah. Now, let's talk about the $300K cars that project managers drive around the bases in.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home